Sunday, July 13, 2008

London- Day 1

The nine of us from our program and the three instructors took the train on the way to London from Plymouth Saturday morning. Train travel is the way to go here; electric plugs are in reach from every seat, the food "buffet" has elder flower water and ohh those toilets! Before we had gotten on the train, Robin gave us a motherly talk about being responsible with our train tickets and tube passes while we were traveling. 
Of course, I had encountered a problem. Patty and I had made a trip to the food cart and toilet. As I turned abound to flush the toilet I noticed that there was a little piece of paper in there. After closer examination I noticed it was my train ticket in the loo. I was a bit worried, so I popped my hear out to ask Patty what to do!  Perhaps I was laughing pretty hard at this point. Seriously, who else would this happen to?! I decided flush it own and hope for the best. As we left the train station, it turns out I needed the ticket to exit the station. So i had to talk to the security patrol man and explain to him what had happened.  He was a tall man with a British and, perhaps, African accent mixed. After I explain that my travel group was right there and my ticket got flushed down the toilet, he responded "I don't like when people don't tell me the truth!" I wasn't sure if he was serious so decided I would act as if he was just giving me a hard time and go along with it. Shortly later, he let me out of the gates and into London! Yippie!
The group then used the London Underground, aka the Tube, to go to our dorm were we would be staying for the next few days, Connaught Hall.  We had a short group meeting upon arrival, and we were free to explore the city and start our scavenger hunt assignmnet. 
Kristin, Patty and I  jumped on the tube with the intention of going to Portabella Road Market. Little did we know it was a "hot mess" down there because several line were closed to weekend repairs and a person under the tracks! I ended up not being patient enough to wait for the escalator so we got out of the tube via the stairs! Bad idea! He is a picture of how far it was before I was even at the top!
After going to the market, we went to "The Old Swan" for dinner. Here is were we had our first Pimms, a yummy punch drink with fruit and mint in it! After we ate,  we went to the Notting Hill Arts Club.  Very cool experience; live band, dj and  martinis! We took the bus bake to the  dorms that night and had a lovely time watching from the second level, top row!

No comments: